Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Scholar Guest of Honor, Mythcon 2015

So, I've been asked to be Scholar Guest of Honor at this year's MythCon -- or, as it's more formally known,  the Forty-sixth annual Mythopoeic Society Conference.

I've attended a fair number of Mythcons before,* all of which I presented at, and even been on the con committee of two and a featured speaker at another. But it's a real honor to be asked to be a Guest of Honor (the Author Guest of Honor being Jo Walton), and I'm really looking forward to the event.

The date:  Friday July 31st through Monday August 3rd.

The place: Colorado Springs, Colorado. I've never been to Colorado before, aside from a fraught layover at the Denver airport,** so this'll take me to a part of the country I've never seen before.

The facility: the Hotel Elegante, a hotel and conference site (looks quite nice).

The author Guest of Honor: Jo Walton -- someone whose work I don't know well, so I'll look forward to getting to know it better between now and the conference.

The theme: The Arthurian Mythos***


Here's the official announcement:





If you're going to be in the area, come join the fun.

--John R.



*1985 in Wheaton, 1987 in Milwaukee, 1992 in Oxford (the Tolkien Centenary conference), 1998 in Wheaton (the CSL and Owen Barfield Centenary conference), 1999 in St. Francis (just south of Milwaukee), and 2010 in Dallas


**I'd broken my glasses and had to try to read the monitors announcing all the gate changes for my flight while switching between my reading glasses (focal length: about one foot away) and my sunglasses (too dark for the available lighting)

***here's hoping they do a readers' theatre presentation of MARK VS. TRISTAN, Lewis and Barfield's little Arthurian romp.

2 comments:

David Bratman said...

Congratulations! A well-deserved honor. And we like having you at Mythcon.

Why not tell the committee that you and Janice are volunteering to do this reading? Or, if she doesn't want to, make it an all-GOH event and ask Jo Walton. If that's the casting, she should do the Lewis part and you the Barfield.

John D. Rateliff said...

Thanks, David
Good idea re. the reading; I'll have to follow up on that and see what's possible.
--John R.