Saturday, September 24, 2011
19. Within the form of mythological epic stand some pivotal works, two based upon the form established by Tolkien. The Earthsea Trilogy and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are derivative of Tolkien. Earthsea presents a mythology set in a world unconnected in any way with our own; Covenant is a traveler from our world into another world, Land.
Monday, September 12, 2011
18. The schema of fantasy and mythological epic is not only a matter of gods, demi-gods and supernatural happenstances. Gods alone do not a myth make, and rhymes do not make a poet. What is at stake when a author chooses fantasy or mythological epic over some other form such as novel or poetry?
Saturday, September 10, 2011
Friday, September 9, 2011
17. When CJRT exhausts his father's writing Middle-earth may become mothballed, standing like the empty hulk of a ship in dock filled with inert gap for preservation There are no real inscriptions, sarcophagi, coins, gems, or other remains at hand to give more information save what Tolkien has written and reported.
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
16. Some might feel the study of myth, and especially the myth of Tolkien, is a path to the power and moral force of our ancestors who drew their life from belief and not knowledge. Although myth is one of the highest forms of abstract and imaginative thought, mathematics is higher, but it lacks the emotions.
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Monday, September 5, 2011
Sunday, September 4, 2011
13. Poetry and Song are an echo of the Great Music; Fate is a theme of Eru woven into all beings; Vision is the gift of dreams and prophecy; Free Will is a theme of Eru.
--Taum Santoski, circa 1984